Improvement Location Permits
If you plan to erect, alter or repair a structure in Garrett, you must first obtain an “Improvement Location Permit”. These permits are available in the Garrett Planning Department, Room 24, City Hall, 130 South Randolph Street (email@example.com)
A “structure” is defined by the “Garrett Zoning Ordinance“…as anything constructed or erected that requires location on or in the ground or attachment to something having a location on or in the ground.” This includes houses, garages and commercial buildings.
Permits are Required for the following:
- New Residences
- Manufactured homes / modular / sectionals / mobiles
- Additions and remodeling
- Accessory structures / additions to Residences: (decks, sheds, garages, carport, roof, porches and any other structure not intended for human occupancy).
- Driveway: (new and extended)
- Dumpsters: (needing placed in the right of way).
- Electrical upgrades or remodel
- Fences (in-ground swimming pools with 18 inches in depth and above ground pools with 42 inches in height require a fence permit).
- Signs (building, pole, façade, canopy, sandwich and other similar signs).
- Demolition of residence / commercial / Industrial sites
- Mobile Construction Offices
- Foundation replacement for existing home
The permit fee is $25.00; payable at the time you are issued the permit. A late fee of $50.00 will be charged to you if you start work before getting a permit. Permits are valid for 1 year from the date of issue.
No Permits are required for the following:
- Grade level patios
- Gutter and downspout replacement
- Window replacement of a exact size and not requiring a change to existing structure
- Dumpsters located on your property
- Garage Sales
- Other cosmetic improvements not affecting electrical, plumbing, mechanical or structural.
Please provide a simple drawing showing your proposed work when you apply for your permit.
After obtaining a permit, you will need to obtain a building permit from the DeKalb County Building Department. Garrett contracts with the county for building inspection services. A building permit costs 5 cents per square foot. The county building inspector will inspect your work as required during construction.
You will also need to locate any underground utilities on your property. You’ll need to call 800-382-5544 (aka, “Holey-Moley”) at least 2 or more days prior to starting your work.
If you are denied a permit, you may petition the Garrett Board of Zoning Appeals for a variance.